While the founders of our Catholic Church in this community sought to worship God on Sundays and Holy Days and to receive the Sacraments, plans were put in motion to build a mission church in Colden, New York. The Parishioners from South Hill and the village of Colden slowly trod their way to the church in Boston. Many had to start for church hours before time, as they had to walk or ride in a slow-moving buggy.
The faithful from the Glenwood area walked to a church on Pratham Road. The house, where the services were held belonged to George Cottrell. The upright portion of this house was later purchased by Elmer Chase and is now part of the present day tavern and home of John Lux.
The need for a Catholic Church in Colden and vicinity was soon recognized. In the year 1912, in the month of July, the Rev. George Crimmens, the Pastor of Nativity Church in Orchard Park, was instructed by the Bishop of Buffalo to organize the Parish of Our Lady of Sacred Heart in Colden and St. George’s Church in Jewettville as mission churches. The property of Dave Barrett in Colden, situated on a slight hill away from the main highway on a road, known as Colburn Road, was purchased as the site for the present church. But before the church was built, Father Crimmens said Mass for the first time in Colden in the parlor of the home of Mr. Geoffrey Lamm, whose son, Edward was to become later a lay trustee of the Parish. Several weeks later, Mass was celebrated on Sundays in the upper flat of Currier’s Grocery Store in the center of town.
The ground for the new church was broken in August 1912; the foundation laid and the church completed by November 11 of the same year and dedicated for the worship of God on Sunday, November 12, 1912 by Bishop Colton of Buffalo, who at the same time blessed the Bell, which was to summon the faithful to church.
Bishop Colton was aided in the dedication ceremonies of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Church by the Rev. George Crimmons and the Rev. Sellinger of Boston, New York and other priests of the diocese. Thereafter, Mass was celebrated every Sunday in the new church by Father Crimmons, who traveled from Orchard Park by horse and buggy.
The first resident Pastor was appointed in January 1913 in the person of Rev. Michael Tobin, who made his home in the residence of Mr. Godfrey Lamm, since there was no rectory. In 1914, Father Tobin was transferred to Lewiston, New York and the Rev. James Howley was appointed as his successor. Father Howley purchased the home of John Siegel immediately adjoining the rear of the church, remodeled and repaired it and it became the first home for the priests. Three years later, Father Howley entered the service of the U.S. Army as chaplain, and the Rev. Eugene Airey was appointed as his successor on January 19, 1917. Read the rest of our history here